Are you ready for Spring Storms?
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $15 billion in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property for the summer.
- Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation. Cracks in the roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
- Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
- Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to part your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Call SERVPRO of Ashland / Richland at 419- 207-8449.