Power Outages in Ashland / Richland
Be prepared in Ashland / Richland for power outages.
Extended power outages may impact the whole community and the economy. A power outage is when the electrical power goes out unexpectedly. A power outage may:
Disrupt communications, water, and transportation.
Close retail businesses, grocery stores, gas stations, ATMs, banks, and other services.
Cause food spoilage and water contamination.
Prevent use of medical devices.
PROTECT YOURSELF DURING A POWER OUTAGE:
Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.
If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
Check on neighbors.
HOW TO STAY SAFE WHEN A POWER OUTAGE THREATENS:
- Take an inventory of the items you need that rely on electricity.
- Talk to your medical provider about a power outage plan for medical devices powered by electricity and refrigerated medicines. Find out how long medication can be stored at higher temperatures and get specific guidance for any medications that are critical for life.
- Plan for batteries and other alternatives to meet your needs when the power goes out.
- Sign up for local alerts and warning systems. Monitor weather reports.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup in central locations on every level of your home.
- Determine whether your home phone will work in a power outage and how long battery backup will last.
- Review the supplies that are available in case of a power outage. Have flashlights with extra batteries for every household member. Have enough nonperishable food and water.
- Use a thermometer in the refrigerator and freezer so that you can know the temperature when the power is restored. Throw out food if the temperature is 40 degrees or higher.
- Keep mobile phones and other electric equipment charged and gas tanks full.
Contact Ohio Edison at (800) 633-4766
Should you need further assistance SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland is only a call away at 419-207-8449.
Make sure your sump pump in always in good working order to keep your basement dry
Not sure who thought of the idea of leaving a large open crock in the basement of a structure, running footer tile into it and then installing a pump into the crock to pump water out of the structure. That said, these pumps can be found in the majority of basements and are known to fail. Either the pump itself burns out from overuse or age, the power goes out, or too much water gains entry and the pump cannot keep up. This can especially be bad if the affected area is finished or has a lot of personal property stored in the affected areas. SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland is here to assist with mitigation, reconstruction and contents services to make it “Like it never even happened."
Filing a claim if you have water damage
Water everywhere so know what to do and call SERVPRO of Cuyahoga South
The process for making a claim for water damage is pretty much the same for flood or non-flood damage.
- Stop the water flow or leaks if possible.
- Of course, if your home is flooded by a raging river, that is likely impossible until the water recedes. However, if you have a burst water pipe, you need to take steps to stop the leak. Turn off the water main or get the pipe repaired quickly.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Most insurance companies offer a 24/7 claims number. The customer service representative can help you get the claim started and tell you the exact next steps the insurance company will need you to do.
- Take pictures and/or video of the damage.
- You need to have a visual record of the damage to the building and its contents. This is critical for your claim.
- Make reasonable repairs to the property to secure it from further damage.
- This includes covering holes in the roof, securing windows with plywood, etc.
- Start getting the water out.
- If you have water remaining inside the building, you can start removing it. You can do this yourself or have a water extraction company do it. Keep all receipts since insurance may cover those costs.
- Don't throw anything away.
- The adjuster will need to see all damaged property.
- Write down all your interactions with the insurance company.
- This includes time, date, who you spoke with, and the details discussed. Always follow up in writing on important discussions.
- Keep a central file that includes your interaction log, documents received from the insurance company, copies of the photos taken, and copies any correspondence you send.
- Call SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland Counties at (419) 207-8449
Frozen pipes can burst and cause havoc!
Frozen pipes can burst and cause havoc in your Mid Ohio home!
At a faster rate than northernly areas of the country also hit with recent severe winter storms, properties in Mid Ohio may experience the trauma of interior flooding due to frozen pipes. Other areas still cope with below zero temperatures, but their familiarity with long periods of below-freezing weather changes building practices to protect pipes. If you are caught with standing water inside your home because of cold temperatures in your southeastern home, we can help.
Plumbing rarely drains completely, and the water left in your Ohio pipes can freeze, surprising you with flood damage. As the water freezes inside the pipes it expands, and the resultant pressure causes metal or plastic conduit to split and crack and connections to fail. Unless the main is shut off, water continues to flow and pours out of the cracks. Your foundation or crawl space collects the moisture, and you need our professional crews and heavy-duty equipment to remove it and dry out your structure.
Speed is essential to a successful flood damage recovery after pipes burst. Water progressively harms building materials and contents. A quick soaking is usually endurable if the moisture is relatively clean and is dried out thoroughly. SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland crews are skilled at using pumps and extractors to remove the vast majority of flood waters, and then to switch to air movers, dehumidifiers, and sometimes heaters to reduce the moisture that remains soaked into framing, walls, ceilings, floors, and fixtures such as carpeting, wallpaper, and cabinets.
Water that stands or saturates structural components and possessions for more than 24 to 48 hours threatens to support the growth of mold. As SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland crews manage your flooding situation, we may pack out stored boxes or furnishings, providing you with an inventory and the chance to decide whether to pursue specialized drying solutions or to discard ruined items. We may offer freeze drying as a resource for wet documents and pictures and help to launder and dry clean waterlogged clothing, linens, and other items.
All our services are accomplished as swiftly as possible to give your belongings and home’s structure the best chance to become restored “Like it never even happened.” It also disrupts your and your family’s life minimally as well. We work to have the damaged pipes repaired fast, too, as failing to do so results in another flood. Throughout the restoration process, SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland is in constant contact with your insurance company to make sure your out of pocket costs are limited, as we assist you with your claims process.
SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland trains to respond successfully to flooding events, no matter what the cause of the disaster.
Contact us at (419) 207-8449, 24 Hours a day.
Prepared for Storms in Mansfield?
SERVPRO helping save this famous Mansfield building
SERVPRO of Ashland / Richland, specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Ashland / Richland, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,750 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 419-207-8449
Mid Ohio Businesses get ready with an Emergency Ready Profile
Get an Emergency Ready Profile for your central Ohio business!
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster in Barberton or Norton is to Plan For it NOW.
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile,ERP ,for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Are You Ready?
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever could happen?”
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Advantage
A no cost assessment of your facility. – This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. – It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. – This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
Establish SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. – You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. – This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. – Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Call SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland to schedule your ERP today at 419-207-8449.
We feel the need for speed!
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals arrive quickly and are trained and equipped to help you regain control of your life when you have an emergency such as a water loss or smoke damage. Mitigation requires quick action. The faster a SERVPRO Franchise Professional can be on-site to start the cleanup for water or smoke, the better the results. This could also keep the cost of the claim down.
Emergency Response 1-4-8
Service Response Guidelines
1. Within one hour from notice of loss a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will contact your insured to arrange for service.
4. Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will be on-site to start mitigation services.
8. Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the adjuster.
The equipment, experience and the people!
No matter the size, SERVPRO of North Richland and Ashland Counties can handle any disaster!
Once water has consumed your home or business, the main question that comes to mind is, "Who's cleaning up all this mess?" Doing the clean-up yourself is always an option. Doing the job yourself will keep the cost down. However, is it the best and safest option for you?
Here at SERVPRO of North Richland & Ashland Counties, we are well trained with the latest techniques to safely clean and dry your home. Our vehicles are equipped with the best equipment to extract the water and dry your home or business.
We work closely with all the major insurance companies quickly and efficiently so we can get your property back to where it was prior to the unfortunate event. If a water damage ever occurs, through through drain back ups or sump pump failure, SERVPRO of North Richland & Ashland Counties is here 24/7 to make it look and feel "Like it never even happened."
Call us at 419-207-8449
Commercial Carpet Cleaning Benefits
Stained carpets can give even the most well-maintained businesses a dirty reputation.
Many carpets are designed to camouflage dirt, especially carpet intended for commercial areas and businesses. Because these same carpets see so much traffic, they can get pretty dingy and rough-looking over time. A poorly maintained carpet can actually hurt your business, so frequent carpet cleaning is a good investment. A carpet that isn’t well cared-for will need to be replaced sooner than one that receives regular cleanings and maintenance, costing you a lot more money in the long run!
- If you own a commercial building space, keeping your carpets in good repair can cut down on customer complaints and liability from any trips and falls.
- Clean carpeting and flooring are part of the good image of your business: clients will be more comfortable with you, and your employees will feel more positive about their work environment. A happy worker is much more productive!
- A clean carpet also reduces illness-causing biological contaminants such as bacteria, mold and viruses that can negatively affect your clients and work staff. This will be especially important during cold and flu season.
Having your commercial carpets cleaned regularly should be part of your business maintenance program.
Consider these points when deciding what an appropriate cleaning schedule should be:
- Color, nap and pile, type, and density of your carpet: a higher-quality carpet will probably be able to go longer without cleaning, for example, and hold up better over time.
- Foot traffic in your place of business: this aspect is going to change based on seasons and weather. A busy workplace is great, but it comes with its own set of challenges.
- The type of your commercial space: if you own a business that uses heavy machinery, you will need to have a much heavier cleaning schedule.
- The type of business you conduct: a veterinary office, daycare or restaurant is going to need more attention than an attorney’s office, for example. If you are a business related to the medical field, your needs may be very specific based on the area of medicine you are associated with.
Our team at SERVPRO of North Richland & Ashland Counties are trained experts when it comes to helping with all your commercial cleaning needs. If dingy, dirty carpets are a problem in your commercial property call us today at (419) 526-2701.
Staying Safe During a Thunderstorm or Flood
The aftermath of a severe thunderstorm in North Central Ohio; this house was all but destroyed by a tree that was knocked over during a storm.
April showers might bring May flowers, but North Central Ohio’s indecisive weather can often bring major water damage into your residential or commercial property. As we transition from spring to summer climates, there are a few different weather-related risks that could cause serious damage to your home or business.
Thunderstorms can occur anywhere at any time of the day, however they are most likely to happen in the afternoon during the spring and summer months. These storms are created by cumulonimbus clouds, and can produce extreme winds, lightning, and hail. Lightning can be very dangerous as well; in fact, more people are killed by lightning every year than they are by tornadoes.
When a thunderstorm is predicted in your area, there are some precautions you can take.
- If you can hear the thunder produced by the storm from your residence or business, you are close enough to be in danger from lightning.
- Keep an eye out for storm signs such as quickly darkening skies, flashes of lightning or increasing winds.
- Postpone any outdoor activities, and avoid driving in storm conditions.
- Find shelter immediately, in the basement of your residence or business if possible, closing all windows and doors securely.
- If you are driving when the storm hits, pull over and take shelter in your car immediately.
- Refrain from bathing, showering, using plumbing, or swimming during storm conditions.
- Ensure that storm drains near your property are kept unobstructed.
- Keep trees around your property trimmed; a severe thunderstorm might cause and straggling branches to break and damage your residence or business.
Spring and early summer is the prime time for flooding. As the seasons change, heavy spring rains can overwhelm rivers and streams and cause flooding. When water rises rapidly along a stream or low-lying area, catastrophic flash flood may occur. It is good to be prepared and have a solid evacuation plan for your family or employees when a flood or flash flood warning is issued.
Some basic flood safety steps include:
- Avoid flood waters at all cost. Just six inches of rapidly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you encounter a flooded road while driving, turn the car around and go another way. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Gather your family or employees, some emergency supplies, and any important belongings and evacuate to higher ground as soon as possible.
- Store your most important items such as photo albums, family heirlooms, and business documents in tightly-sealed plastic containers to ensure that they are well protected from floodwaters. As well consider storing valuables in the attic rather than the basement.
The key when it comes to thunderstorms and floods is to make sure that you have a safety plan in place. Ensure that your family members or employees know to take shelter in the basement during a thunderstorm or to retreat to the highest level of your property during a flood. It is advisable to keep a supply of food, water, flashlights and batteries, and a first aid kit in the case of any emergency.
SERVPRO of North Richland & Ashland Counties is dedicated to taking quality care of restoring your home or business after the inclement weather, so that the health and safety of your family and employees can be your main concern when a flood or thunderstorm hits.